17 November 2010

Cheers!


I received a phone call yesterday from my hands-down best neighbor ever. (She lives in Massachusetts now). "A royal wedding!" Of course this would make us excited. We were young teenagers ourselves as we watched (a shared memory even though we didn't know each other then) so very early in the morning the spectacle in London so many years ago. Diana and Charles. Years later we cried together, day in and day out, over the death of Princess Diana. Neighbors and friends wondered just what was wrong with us. She sent a letter of condolence to Sarah Ferguson and received a reply on engraved stationary. We could hardly catch our breath. Sadness and disbelief. I set out the "alter" as Darren calls it. Books of the wedding gown, of the royal family, of the palaces, newspaper clippings, stamps. I copied her clothing. My grandmother gifted me a sapphire ring from an estate sale so similar to that engagement ring. Never mind that it isn't real, she had no idea at the time how much I treasured it and still do.  My obsession remained during study abroad in London when I was 19. We stayed right across from Kensington Palace and you bet that when we heard that helicopter landing we would rip out of the hostel and try to catch a glimpse. Duchess of Kent at the time and some other lesser known royals were all we caught. I think that my royal friend and I should go. Can you imagine the eye rolling from our husbands? Ahhhh, I feel young again...

3 comments:

Gberger said...

DO it! I remember that wedding - I was a young graduate living in Boston and we got up to watch it on TV. And I remember crying through her funeral and the long drive of the cortege...I had books, too, and studied her "style," loved her vulnerability and have only lately come to see her in historical perspective. How proud she would be of her son and his meaningful, intentional courtship of this lovely young woman, and the timing and symbolism. What joy and hope they have given to their nation and the world. Vive l'amour! Rule Brittania!

Nat said...

Whenever I see that ring or Princess Diana I think of you! I remember watching her funeral too and I was sad about her death. I remember looking at a book about Princess Diana at Grandma Saundra's house. You should totally go to the wedding! :)

Jen said...

I still remember sitting up at 4:30 in the morning watching the wedding with you. The carriages, the parade, the fanfare. I think the new couple are so regal and beautiful - I knew you would be excited when you heard the news of their engagement. You need to go to the wedding, it is a "moral imperative" (quote from Real Genius)or you can use "you have a license plate in your underwear? How do you sit?"